Matthew 28:19-20 – 19 “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
Matthew 5:16 – “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”
Matthew 25:35-36 – 35 “For I was ahungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.”
James 1:27 – “Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.”
Colossians 3:23-24 23 “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.”
The Olivet Baptist Church Missionary Ministry is the official evangelism and outreach community service ministry of the church. The Missionary Society serves the best interests of our community by actively practicing Job 29:15, “I was eyes to the blind, and feet was I to the lame;” Proverbs 31:20, “she stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy” and Isaiah 50:4, “The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.”
Our Missionary Society trains its members to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ through works of mercy, spiritual care and teaching the Christian faith. The missionary society accomplishes this through:
- Offering prayer.
- Mission studies.
- Regular meetings and fellowship.
- Actively evangelizing through words or deeds.
- Spreading love, charity and kindness as the face of Olivet in the community.
The Missionary Society oversees and coordinates the following activities:
- Nursing home visitations along with the Welcome and Intake Ministry.
- Hospital visits when called upon.
- Outreach projects in the community (food give-away, clothing give-away, coat give-away, blanket give-away, etc.).
- An annual service missionary project where a cause is adopted (e.g., Clean Water for Africa, Back to School Supplies, Toys for Tots, etc.).
- Evangelism through service.
- Working with Para-church ministries like: Worldvision, NBC Foreign Missions Board, etc., on behalf of the Olivet Baptist Church.
- Provide Missionary representation on the District, State and National levels.
The Missionary Society also works alongside the Deaconess Ministry in the administration of sacramental services for Communion.
The Missionary Society seeks mission-minded individuals who are:
- Willing to the serve God and humanity.
- Willing to help the poor and to care for the sick and to work for the unconverted.
- Willing to exhibit a deep love for people.
- Willing to be concerned about not only the physical and material needs of people, but their salvation and spiritual health as well.
- Willing to sacrifice for the edification of the least in our society.