Titus 2:3-5 – “That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things. That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children. To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.”
Romans 16:1-2 – “I commend unto you Phoebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: 2 That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succorer of many, and of myself also.”
1 Timothy 3:11 – “Likewise, their wives must be reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things.”
Colossians 3:23-24 23 “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.”
The Olivet Baptist Church Deaconess Ministry is comprised of women selected by the Pastor because of the spiritual qualities they have demonstrated, according to 1 Timothy 2:9-10 and Titus 2:3-5. The Deaconess Ministry is a compliment to the Deacon Ministry and an official extension of the Pastor in fulfilling certain functions within the life of the church. Deaconess’ are assigned by the Pastor with the preparation of the two holy ordinances given to the Church Universal by Jesus Christ: Communion and the rite of Baptism.
The Deaconess Ministry seeks to:
- Inspire Christian women to live a holy life.
- Encourage positive Christian fellowship.
- Provide a role model of Christian womanhood in: speech, behavior and attire.
- Offer the collective wisdom of experience to younger women in particular and the Church Body in general.
The Primary Responsibilities of the Deaconess Ministry are:
- Preparation of the Communion Table alongside the Missionary Society.
- Pastoral support at the request of the Pastor, especially to females, children and families in distress.
- Preparation of baptismal candidates along with the Welcome and Intake Ministry.
- Benevolence and Crises Intervention when called upon.
- Coordinate and serve the repast table at OBC member’s funerals.
- Caring for the baptismal attire and communion linens and sacrament vessels.
- Working alongside the Deacon, Pastoral and Missions Ministry to visit our Sick and Shut-in.
The Deaconess Ministry is by appointment only at the discretion of the Pastor of Olivet Baptist Church.